Home to Woodring College of Education, Miller Hall was originally built in 1943 as the Campus Elementary School. A 1969 addition to the front facade created an internal courtyard. Decades of remodels left users disoriented by the building’s three stairs, nine floor levels, and two wings. In addition, much of the building was inaccessible to mobility-impaired students.
This major renovation included a complete floor plan reconfiguration, which improves wayfinding and accessibility. The new configuration introduces natural light and ventilation within the building through dormers, skylights, light wells, and operable windows. Energy efficient systems have reduced energy consumption by approximately 40%. A new transparent gallery was inserted in the courtyard, providing a flexible gathering space for campus use and a green roof to benefit the floors above.